Darjeeling Himalayan Railway popularly known by the sobriquet of “Toy Train” is the star attraction of this Himalayan Destination. A toy train ride is must for any tourist visiting this picturesque hill station located in north-eastern India. It is a wonderful holiday experience which lets you relish the beauty of the hills at a slow pace.
A UNESCO World Heritage Property, the toy train is a narrow gauge railway train which was built by the British colonial rulers when this pretty hill station was their summer retreat. The construction was completed in the years between 1879-1881. Today it is one of the major tourist attractions of the hills which allure travellers from all around the world.
This little steam locomotive used to run from New Jalpaiguri Station in Siliguri to Darjeeling Railway Station, few years ago. It offered the tourists an enjoyable ride from the lower reaches of the Himalayas all the way to the misty hill station of Darjeeling. But due to some reasons this
service is not in operation now. Currently, the toy train offers joy rides between Ghoom and Darjeeling and passenger rides between Kurseong and Darjeeling. The toy train joy ride from Darjeeling to Ghoom and vice-versa is highly advised for the tourists as they can avail the facility of online seat reservations which makes the journey more comfortable and convenient. The latter does not offer this facility. However, both the rides are pleasurable and offer some great holiday moments that is worthy of your memorabilia.
A toy train ride offers the travellers a unique travel experience. As the little gem of Darjeeling makes a loud whistle and starts moving, the thrill begins right away. On the way you can enjoy beautiful views of the rolling hills and valleys, small streams, sprawling tea plantations, snow-capped mountain ranges of the Eastern Himalayas and distant villages. It steeply passes through a number of loops and reverses; the most fascinating being at the Batasia Loop where it takes an amazing turn on the 360° railway loop. The toy train halts here for 10 mins. Tourists can utilize this time to enjoy stunning views of the snow covered Mount Kanchenjunga and Darjeeling town. The toy train finally rests at the Darjeeling Railway Station.
Simply speaking, the pleasure that you get from a toy train ride in Darjeeling hills cannot be expressed in words. You have to experience it to believe it!
- Special feature: It is a UNESCO World Heritage Property.
- Distance Covered by Toy Train (Darjeeling – NJP) – 88 Kms (Earlier as for now, the journey is not possible due to massive landslide near Tindharia and so joy ride is possible and available from Darjeeling to Ghoom. Diesel Toy Train runs from Darjeeling till Kurseong.
- Fare for Joy Ride – Rs 265 per Head for Joy Ride from Darjeeling to Ghoom (Vice- Versa).
- Coaches for Joy Ride: Vintage B Class Team Locomotive
- Timings– 10: 40 Am (Morning) and 1:20 Pm (Afternoon)
- Stoppage: 10 Mins at Batasia Loop and 30 Minutes at Ghoom Railway Station From Siliguri Junction to Sukna
- Coaches for Joy Ride – 3 First Class Coaches and “B” Class Locomotive
- NJP – Sukna Joy Ride (Journey) – From Siliguri Junction to Sukna and Vice Versa
- Timings: 10 Am and Again at 1 Pm
- Stoppage: 30 Minutes Stoppage at Sukna for Visiting Sukna Photo Gallery.
- Enjoyed by: Families, Locals, Couples and backpackers
- Suggestion: Please book the ticket in advance as for Toy Train Journey; there is always a high demand of journey ticket.